Victim Financial Assistance


 Victims who suffer physical or psychological injury or death as a direct result of criminally injurious conduct may be eligible to receive reparations for crime related expenses.  This includes family members and dependents of deceased victims or representatives acting on behalf of victims.

  • To be eligible, the victim shall be a resident of Utah or the criminally injurious conduct shall have occurred in Utah.
  • Aggravated Arson
  • Aggravated Robbery
  • Assault
  • Bigamy
  • Child Physical or Sexual Abuse
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI with Injury or Death
  • Elder Abuse
  • Home Invasion
        • Homicide
        • Human Trafficking (Sex or Labor)
        • Kidnapping and Unlawful Detention
        • Protective Order Violations
        • Sex Crimes 
        • Stalking 
        • Threats of Violence
        • Vehicular Assault or Homicide

        Application Process

        Applications can be accessed here (insert link to live application) or download an application to physically fill out and send to or to:

        The Utah Office for Victims of Crime
        350 E. 500 S. Suite 200
        Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

        Please call 801-238-2360 and speak to an advocate for further information or assistance submitting an application.

        Claim Approved- Now what?

        • If your claim is approved for reparations, you should receive an approval packet in the mail, unless you have requested to be contacted through phone or email when a decision is made. Your approval letter will list the benefits that you have been approved for and will include accompanying forms. The approval letter will include the contact information for your assigned Reparation Officer, who will be your point of contact with UOVC for any approved claims you have.
        • For Medical, Mental Health and Dental costs, UOVC functions essentially as a primary or secondary insurance and should be billed directly by the providers. If you receive home bills for medical services, please follow the instructions on the green Medical form so UOVC can be billed directly.
        • Funeral or relocation costs can be paid to providers or reimbursed to the claimant/victim, if appropriate documentation is provided.  Most other expenses are paid or reimbursed to the claimant/victim.
        • UOVC is considered a payer of last resort: if the claimant/victim has health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, Workers Compensation or other collateral, it must be used before UOVC can pay. Payouts from victim/offender’s auto insurance or money obtained from civil lawsuits are also considered collateral sources. An insurance waiver can be requested and considered on a case by case basis. 
        • If your claim is denied, you may choose to speak to a UOVC Victim Advocate to discuss the possibility of appealing the decision.


        Appeal a Denial Decision

        Applicants have the right to appeal denials under R270-2-3 (Contested Determinations).  If you would like to enter an appeal or need other assistance please contact the Advocacy Center at 801-238-2360.


        Restitution is similar to reparations in that it seeks to compensate victims for crime related expenses. Restitution can be paid for can be ordered to the offender to pay for property damage, medical expenses, counseling amongst other expenses.


        If you are seeking restitution on a case that is being adjudicated, please contact the city or county prosecutor’s office where the case is being tried. 

        If you are seeking restitution from an individual who is incarcerated for their crimes please contact the Utah Board of Pardon’s and Parole. (Insert contact number)

        Filea claim online

        The following links also provide important information about eligibility:

        The agency provides a safety net for individuals who have no other way to pay for costs – including but not limited to medical bills, counseling expenses, burial and funeral costs, and lost wages – resulting from being victims of crime. Family members of crime victims also may be eligible for help.